Thursday, December 17, 2009

[insert interesting title here]

Hello all my fellow bloggers. I creep all of your blogs all the time and you probably don't even know it! I silently nod my head along to alllll the things I can relate to, make sad faces when things aren't going how they should for you, and smile for all those pounds lost and NSV's.. but I rarely let you know it via comment. and for that, I'm sorry. I'd like to say I'm going to try to do better (just as I say I will update this blog more frequently) but I shouldn't say things I may not follow through with. [I find myself annoyed with the bloggers who leave for extended periods of time only to come back with a short blog of apologies and a 'promise' that more updates are to come... only to do it alllll again. So I make no promises or apologies for my long absence.. and who the heck knows when I'll blog again ;)] ... special shout out to Amy W. here.. who never, ever fails to entertain me, make me laugh, or make me think with her blog.

Life is speeding along so fast that I barely have time to register that we're almost in 2010. 2010! That's crazy! I took my last final of the semester this past Monday.. looking forward to a little break. My birthday was this past weekend.. 24! I didn't really do anything but relax at home.. which was perfectly fine with me.

Okay banders, here is life with the band lately: it blows. I've been getting some acid reflux over the past two or so months.. I usually just take some antacids and it goes away. A couple weeks ago, I started having some major troubles with keeping food down (I already puke at almost every meal as it is, so when I say major troubles..I mean majooorrr). I'd wake up in the middle of night (hours and hours after I'd last eaten) and puke! But the puke this time was different. I have to explain to nonband people that when we puke, it's never acidic puke like when you're sick to your stomach. It's simply the food you just ate coming up.. it's never reached my stomach, blah blah. We, as bandsters, all know this. Well, I've been puking up acid in the middle of the night. This happened two nights in a row so I called my doctor. I'm scheduled for an appointment on the 23rd... I fly into Minnesota on the 22. She's going to completely unfill me.. and then do an upper GI (if anyone has had an upper GI.. please tell me exactly what this entails!).. and depending on those results, fill me again accordingly. I'm worried that my band has slipped... but mostly, I just want to EAT again! I'm not talking pig out, tons of fast food eat... I would like to enjoy a salad. some grilled chicken. ANYTHING! So I haven't had much solid food in the past couple of weeks.. but I've taken the opportunity to eat plenty of ice cream. A girls gotta get her fat in somehow, right?! ;)

Water is another issue. I'm not good at constantly sipping water all day long. I like to drink a big glass of water every couple of hours. I cannot do that.. and so I haven't been drinking any. Plus, this might sound weird.. but I get acid reflux when I drink water. *sigh* I'm trying. *sips*

I've been holding steady at 153 lbs. I have already mentally prepared myself for what introducing food and an adequate amount of calories will do to the scale. It will indeed go up before it starts coming down again.. because I'm telling you right now, my body is STARVING! haha. I'm not even going to pretend that I can do this without the band.. but I need a chance to TRY. These last 20 or so pounds have been lost not because I'm choosing the right things to eat and being all healthy.. they've been lost because the band will not let me eat a godd@amn thing! I need a chance to prove to myself that if I can eat carrots, I will. If I can drink water better, I will. If I have the choice to eat, I will choose to eat something healthy. It's just not happening now.

I guess I'll leave it at that for now. Wish me luck with my appointment! I hope everyone is good, healthy and gearing up for this holidays!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Amy, how I heart thee! Thank you for the shout out! I feel like my blogs are on the serious side lately and I am trying to find something funny material! lol

    That does not sound good about your band. Now I am a little worried for you. Do you read the blog Losing in 2009? If not, you might want to check it out.

    I think I had an upper GI preband. But hell, I get confused with that and when they make you swallow barium, which I have never done. If it is what I think it is, they put you under and go down your throat with a camera...but Lords knows I may be confused.

    It's okay that you are silent blog stalker. I know you are reading and that's all that matters.

    Please at least blog an update after your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy!

    That sounds horrible, not to be able to keep food down! Please let us know how you are doing after you see your doctor.

    An upper GI sounds very similar to an esophogram, which my Dr. required before surgery. No pain, just weird positions! It does make your poop a weird white color!

    from the internets: During the procedure, you will drink barium, a thick, white, milkshake-like liquid. Barium coats the inside lining of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum, and makes them show up more clearly on x rays. The radiologist can also see ulcers, scar tissue, abnormal growths, hernias, or areas where something is blocking the normal path of food through the digestive system. Using a machine called a fluoroscope, the radiologist is also able to watch your digestive system work as the barium moves through it. This part of the procedure shows any problems in how the digestive system functions, for example, whether the muscles that control swallowing are working properly. As the barium moves into the small intestine, the radiologist can take x rays of it as well.

    An upper GI series takes 1 to 2 hours. X rays of the small intestine may take 3 to 5 hours. It is not uncomfortable. The barium may cause constipation and white-colored stool for a few days after the procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH!!!! I meant to say oh AMANDA how I heart thee and I said my own name instead....ahahahahahahah....freudian slip? Am I in love with myself?

    Sorry AMANDA! Forgive me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I will keep you in my Thoughts and Prayers. I hope everything goes ok and you just got to tight. I had to do an Upper GI after I had my surgery to make sure everything was inplace. keep us posted please!!!

    and I hope you have a Merry Christmas!
    p.s HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY! :oP

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love your updates no matter how random and far between!! I am not to frequent with the postings but it's MY blog and as long as I'm getting something out of it then we're all good. Same goes for you!

    I hope nothing's wrong with your band. "Loosing in 2009" just found out her band slipped this week (no clue when, but she found out this week) so maybe if you don't you could read her last few posts? Please post when you can to let us know how your visit goes.

    Also, never had one myself but I think an Upper GI is basically where they hover the xray over your upper chest/abdomen area and watch you swallow barium. They might also inject dye into your band since they are unfilling you first. Either way, should be painless and easy. :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the GI goes ok. I'm pretty sure it is the camera down your throat, I'm just not sure if you are awake or not. And it doesn't sound like it slipped it sounds like it's too tight and throwing up causes swelling which causes more tightness. I hope you can get some nutrition in your little body soon!!!

    ReplyDelete